Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving to ALL! Sadly I don't have any pictures to share. SIL took a few but she hasn't shared them with me yet.

This was one of the best Thanksgivings we have ever celebrated. It was very quiet and low key. Normally we put up our Christmas tree while watching the parade and then go over to my sister's for dinner and the football game. Since we don't have our own home this year, we've decided not to do a tree. My MIL put up a small one and her village a few days ago. We won't be home on Christmas morning anyways so just another reason not to put one up. I did sell my artificial tree last year in the downsizing (it took up TWO large boxes) so we'd have to spend money buying one. With the pending adoption, we are skimping and saving every penny that we can since it came so much sooner than we had most recently thought it would. I digress. With hubby's celiac disease now, I knew there wouldn't be much that he could eat for dinner at my sister's house as well. Traditional Thanksgiving dinner is just FILLED with gluten containing foods.

SIL and BIL came over for brunch. We were supposed to eat at 11 am but since I'm still getting used to this stove, it wasn't ready until 1130 am. We still had time to visit and they left to head to BIL's families home for dinner. Brunch was egg bake, berry baked french toast, and pumpkin bread - all gluten free so my Honey could eat it all.

We were staying home for dinner so after they left, I just had to turn the turkey on to cook. I had made the stuffing earlier in the day and the rest had to wait until closer to dinner to cook.

Thanks to T$ we had an opportunity as a family to do something for someone else today as well. Barefoot Mike called me Wednesday night to let me know that there was a young woman with a 5 year old daughter and 7 month old son with little heat and no warm clothes or blankets that was in dire need. Pete and I went out shopping late Wednesday night to Target and Salvation Army to get what we could for them. Then in between stuffing ourselves full today, we drove down to 2nd & Seldon to deliver some bags of warm clothing and blankets to a family in need. We are so thankful for all our blessings that we don't have to worry about clothing that we are able to help others when in need.

Dinner was traditional. Turkey stuffed with gluten free stuffing, gluten free cornbread, mashed potatoes and gluten free gravy, corn, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, gluten free pumpkin spice cake and gluten free pumpkin pie. I definitely over-cooked but now I won't have to all week-end : )

I am thankful for so many things but especially the grace of the Lord, my handsome husband and 3 beautiful daughers, my extended family and friends, my health and all so many blessings that I don't deserve!

No comments: