Tuesday, April 29, 2008

God Cares About the Small Things


First, let me start by saying, please don't think I'm really this shallow. It's how God has chosen to show me he cares about even the smallest things. I've always heard that but found it hard to believe. I would think, yeah, like God really had time to think about all the 'dumb little things going on in my life'. He's got bigger things to worry about. Well, He really does and He continues to remind me day after day, even when I don't deserve it. He'll do the same for you if you will be still and let Him.

If you know me at all, you know I'm a fairly recently saved person who is constantly in awe of His Awesome power and strength.

It all started sometime last summer. I can't recall exactly when because it took me awhile to realize what was happening. God is also VERY patient :)

I have ALWAYS had terrible luck finding a good parking spot. It was so bad that I stopped looking for one and parked where ever as soon as I pulled in. Then last summer I started to notice that I was just pulling in and there would be a good spot. It was probably two months into this when I started to thank God for providing me with such a good spot. Then I really started to pay attention. It seemed like every time I went anywhere I would just pull in and find a good spot. I would thank God for doing that for me and have a short chat with him while I walked into where ever I was going.

After a few months of this, I realized it really was God doing it for me. Then, I am ashamed to admit this, but I started to test Him to make sure. Like around Christmas time, I went to Nino's, a quite popular, busy local fruit market. I knew there was no way I would have a spot so I just pulled in and parked far back. I basically said, I know You could do it, but there is just no way today. I don't want my bubble to burst and be disappointed in You so I'm not going to let there be a chance you could disappoint me. I know I was projecting but that's what I did. As I began to walk towards the door, the car in the first spot pulled out! That was God telling me, I can do anything, don't test me, trust me. That was the last time I did that one!

Then recently I needed to go to Meijer. I HATE Meijer. Mostly because of the parking lot. It's AWFUL! It's always packed. I pulled in and said, God, I'm running late, you know I hate this place, please be there for me. As I pulled into the row DIRECTLY in front of the door, a Mom was packing up her kids to leave. I did have to wait for them to leave but there was my spot, directly in front of the door. No walking for me : )

I was skeptical about telling my Man because I knew he would blow me off, tell me I was shallow, or simply not believe me. It was so amazing to me that after about 6 months I just had to tell him. I was going to burst with Joy. He kind of laughed at me but didn't think I was crazy. Then he started to notice it happened with him while I was in the car. We again pulled into Nino's and he just started to park. I said, "Wait, what are you doing?" He replied, "Parking." I said, "No, go up there to my spot." He pulled back out, partly in frustration with me, thinking I'm nuts, and there someone pulled out right in front. I just said, "You have to believe".

After about the third time he said, "Now this is getting ridiculous! I can't believe this is the way it always is for you." But it is. God cares about the details. He cares about the smallest, most mundane things in your life. If it matters to you, it matters to Him.

Last week we went to the mall. We pulled up onto the third floor of the parking garage and my Man headed straight for the front. There was nothing. I could tell by his hesitation that he thought there wouldn't be a spot. I didn't say a word. I asked God to show me where my spot was. Just then someone's lights came on in the 4th spot and pulled out for us. My Man was just in Awe. He said, I was just about to doubt. That'll show him!

I told my Man that, I'm just waiting for it to stop. How long can this really go on? He said, "I think forever." He longs for a relationship with us. He knows I"m broken and doubt and let my flesh get in the way. He won't give up on me. Others may, but He never will. When I get doubts like that, He quickly brings me back to focus.

Just yesterday I was going to the library. It was 515 pm - a busy time for the library. I was a bit cranky and just didn't feel like talking to God. I said to Him as I pulled into the parking lot, there's just no way today. I don't want to test you, I don't want to be disappointed, I'm just going to stop right here and park. I'm running late but I really want to get this book even though I know I'm going to be even later. (By the way, I was going to be late for meeting with my Communitas team for a time of prayer! How sassy was I being!) But something inside of me forced me to pull all the way to the front door. And there was my spot. Even when I was being the most unlovable, undeserving, He was still there for me. He won't ever give up on you as long as you just stay in relationship with Him.

I could go on and on with more examples of this exact thing happening but I hope I won't have to bore you with the details and know that this kind of thing happens weekly for me, EVERY time I go anywhere.

Now, don't go thinking it will work for you and try to take away my spot : ) It's our thing. You have your own thing with Him. Trust in Him to handle everything and He will.

I wasn't sure about sharing this with everyone else but I just couldn't keep it to myself. His glory needs to shine! If it can shine through a broken person like me, then that shows you how AWESOME He truly is!

1 comment:

Superstar said...

Great story. Thanks for sharing. But, you better get used to WALKING girl!