Saturday, April 19, 2008

A Glimpse of the Future

So today we went downtown near Wayne State University to "be" with the homeless. Not to feed them but to spend time with them. Learn about them. Treat them as real people - as God's children. I have to admit that that is not something I'm good at. I've never wanted to be good at that until now. I certainly won't say I've got it down pat after just one day of it. But it was a start. It was a joy. It was a joy to show my daughters what it's like to step outside your box. To show them how to respect all people of different races. Yes I did hide behind my platter of hot dogs serving. That's what I do best. I'm good at being organized and helping out. I'm not good at getting to know strangers. I'm glad this effort is led by the college ministry. Those students sure have a heart for these people. I was glad they allowed me to be apart of their thing for the day. I'm already looking forward to going back next month.

I heard God's audible voice today. I think that was only the second time ever. A black woman came up to me while I was just standing around next to Pete doing nothing, waiting for them to start cooking the food, and started to talk to me. She told me she hadn't been around in the past 9 month but she's from around there, has lived there all her life. She was finally clean (I"m assuming she meant clean from the drugs) and she started to cry. I first reaction was to run away but I didn't. God said in that very moment to me, she's my child, love her. And she hugged me. And I hugged her back. I've never done anything so simple in all my life that meant so much to me. I didn't realize that God was talking to me at the time. It was like someone else was hugging her and not me. But while processing it on the way home, I realized exactly what had happened. I know people that hear God daily and I've always been afraid to hear his audible voice. I"m getting better with the idea everyday. I'm still amazed when he just talks to me in other ways. I used to think people were crazy when they talked like I do now ... But I also think I am crazy too (not as crazy as Pete though : )

We got to hang with other Communitas members. That was GREAT! Seeing the Kellys was the only reason I really wanted to go in the first place. But that all changed once we got there. As of midnight last night, I still didn't want to go. But the girls had to hang with Liv, I got to chat some more with Superstar, and Pete got to hang with T$ and walk the streets of D with him bonding. We also got to see Taylor and Samantha. Those are some brave women in my book. They are both single. They are both going to NYC. I don't know if I could be doing this without Pete and the girls by my side. So this is what life will be like in Gramercy Park. Serving our Community together. Now that's a life worth living!

No comments: