Sunday, April 20, 2008

What do You Think - Is Interfaith Really So Bad?

This post is in direct response to this blog post I just read over at the NYC Moms Blog: Is Interfaith Really So Bad? Normally I don't respond to articles like this but for some reason this post really got under my skin. I've been reading more and more blogs written by people in NYC, and many that are Jewish. Not intentionally. I think I only know that because it is Passover so many of them are writing about things related to this holiday. The topics that I've been reading about seem to just land me on those blogs. Divine planning is how I've assumed it is.

Back to this post. She seems more hung up on the "practices" of religion such as gift giving at Christmas/Hanukkah and East egg hunts as opposed to rather she believes Jesus Christ is her Savior. I was raised by a Lutheran father and Catholic mother. The differences between the two are minor compared to the differences between Jews and Christians!

So what do you think? Just wondering your thoughts. I used to agree that an Interfaith marriage could work and raising children of Interfaith was no problem. I wondered why I was being confirmed in 10th grade when I had lots of questions that no one seemed to be able to answer or that seemed to care to get answered for me. The important thing was to be confirmed. It didn't seem to matter that I wasn't sure God existed. Just get confirmed and don't worry about it. So I did. In the end I knew I'd get a new outfit and some money so why not just do it. I wondered about the existence of God for a very long time. I had all the typical questions - most importantly to me - why did God let bad things happen to good people like me? Granted, nothing horrible had happened compared to the horrors that so many others go through. And I wondered why He let others go through so much.

I was a confirmed Catholic who married a confirmed Lutheran. At one point in my life I didn't think I should raise them in one particular religion but teach them about all of them and then let them decide when they were old enough. Then one day a friend pointed out to me, would I just let my kids decide if they wanted to do drugs or not. Of course not! That is just modeling indecision and I was definitly NOT an indecisive kind of person. So I set out to figure out what I believed so I could teach them that. Then when they were older, if they decided they didn't agree, then at least they had some foundation to disagree with! It took me until the rip old age of 33 to accept Jesus Christ as my Savior. It's been one heck of a ride ever since then but I would go back to not believing for anything!

No comments: