Tuesday, December 2, 2008

K2 Has ADD


I think I've known K2 would eventually be diagnosed with ADD (not to be confused with ADHD - she's not hyper beyond that of a normal 6 year old) as soon as she was walking. She would constantly walk into walls because she wouldn't look where she was going. My Man has it. It is hereditary. And while I was constantly nagging him for YEARS to get tested and medicated for it, I've been stalling with K2. I didn't want to label her. I didn't want to medicate her. I didn't want her to think something was wrong with her. I've tried all sorts of things - all the natural things to try. Read the boks. We've cut out gluten, sugar, food colorings and preservatives. We've given her all sorts of natural supplements. I've let her do her school work while bouncing on a yoga ball. Nothing helps. Not long term anyways. She even has a check-list. But she forgets what she is doing while she is doing it

If she was in public school, it wouldn't have been noticed. But since I homeschool her and am with her 24/7/365, I notice it. This past month I just couldn't ignore it anymore. This is a VERY bright girl (although only 6) who reads better than her older sister but yet can't seem to focus on anything. Can't get her work done that should only take her 2 hours. It was taking 4 plus hours and a lot of tears and nagging. Neither one of us was very happy. So I made the doctor's appointment. We took her in and did the standard questionnaire. She has ADD. She needs medication. She is starting on the lowest dose (5mg) of Adderall that we can get. It only last 4 hours. Typically they'd give her XR to last 8 hours or take the regular Adderall twice a day. I just want something to help her get through her bookwork. Then she can be who she is without the medication. I actually had to show my license in order to pick up her prescription. Insane. I'm trying to focus on the positives of this.

The medication has side effects as well. Most commonly are loss of appetite (she already doesn't eat enough), stomach aches, leg cramps, depression, difficulty sleeping, and tics. Here's praying to the least amount of side effects as possible and the most amount of increased attentiveness as possible. I pray that this was the right decision for her. If not, guess we can stop it at anytime.

No comments: