Sunday, August 30, 2009

GFCF Diet

Picture

Kierstyn has an appointment in two weeks to see the pediatric gastroenterologist, Dr. Lyons for her reflux. She is on her second medicine, Prilosec, trying to control it. It seemed to work for one week but now it's not. We are in our 4th week of trying it. I have a feeling that he will do an endoscope like he did on Kaeterina earlier this year. I've had the whole family on a gluten free diet for most of the summer now. This means Kierstyn has to eat gluten again before the test if I want him to look for celiac disease, which of course I do since he'll be down that way anyways.

I've also been weaning them off of dairy and eggs. That has been much harder. Honestly, it's been much harder because I don't want to give those up either. I know I'm addicted to gluten. Life without bagels just doesn't seem worth living : ) Pete would only agree to the new diet for whole family if I agreed to do it for myself as well. Being that I'm such a ridiculously picky eater, giving up anything of the limited things that I do eat, is difficult. It has helped my weight loss goal though : ) We are trying to be fair to everyone in the house and if one person can't have something then neither can anyone else. Between Pete's celiac and food allergies and Kierstyn's GERD diet (nothing spicy nor greasy, no chocolate, tomatoes, onions, garlic, citrus, no just name a few) and her ADHD diet, we don't have a lot of options.

My cooking skills are being tested tremendously! I've been checking out new blogs and cookbooks from the library like crazy. But I do have to say that I am enjoying the experimenting in the kitchen again. It is really all in all an healthier way to eat in the long run. It does mean the house isn't quite as clean as it should be. Why mop if I'm just going to get it dirty immediately following : ) It's all a trade-off!

No comments: