Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Kierstyn Update

It feels like the only time I have anything to post anymore is an update on my latest sick child. I took Kierstyn back in to the pediatrician's office today because she woke me up yet again last night complaining of a pain on her lower left side. It's unlike her to wake up for anything. She is, after all, a Pfeiffer. And the Pfeiffers love to sleep!

I found out at the ped's office that her pneumonia is in her lower left lung. Well now that makes sense! The pediatrician suspected fluid build up in her lung. She said she always to try to narrow symptoms down to just one diagnosis but with all that Kierstyn is complaining about, it's hard to pull one thing out without considering the other. She also said she hopes we are just having a bad month and everyone is well by September! So do I! We've been in that office more this past month that in any entire year that I can remember. We'll definitely be getting flu shots this year!

Her blood work-up from Saturday was all normal except that her white blood count was up which makes sense with have pneumonia. Oh, and she's had mono at some point. Nice. Doc said we probably thought she just had a cold and was feeling under the weather but it was mono. Nothing we could have done anyways with that diagnosis anyways.

Dr. Foster sent us back to main St. John's in Detroit for another chest x-ray because her lungs still sounded bad and she had labored breathing. She said if we didn't mind, to go there because they would get her the results in less than an hour so off we went. Oh, and to wait for the reading if we could because if she had fluid in her lungs like she suspected, Kierstyn would have to be admitted to have it drained. But, oh yeah, I have 3 other kids so go ahead and go home to prepare for what to do with them just in case and she'd call me within an hour of me leaving the hospital.

I love St. John's! We were in and out of there in about 15 minutes total. No waiting to register. No waiting for the tech to come out and get her. And my Mom parked the car so no waiting for valet to bring me my car.

Dr. Foster's office nurse just called to tell me that, yes Kierstyn does have fluid in her left lung but it is a small amount. We need to have her rest and drink plenty of fluids. To call if any of her symptoms get worse, otherwise, to bring her back in on Friday for a re-check. Praise the Lord for that news!

K1 & K2 are supposed to leave at 2 pm on Friday for a week-end in NYC with Daddy and the Kelly crew. Her well check-up appoint is scheduled for 11 am. I sure hope she is healed by then so she can go on this trip. She'll be so disappointed if she can't go. She's been talking about it daily since we told her they were going.

Northpointe Pediatrics - Dr. Michelle Foster

No comments: