Thursday, December 13, 2007

And so it all begins....

I've been thinking about starting another blog (I started one last year that is specific to our adoption - see link at sidebar to read about that one) for a few months now but just have not been motivated enough to make it a priority. Well my friend T$ (http://mustardseeddistributed.blogspot.com/) started one and that kicked me in the butt to move it to the top of the To Do list. I couldn't think of a name though. I ran a few by my man and he veto'd all of them. Then today when I was telling him an incredible story (I"ll get to that in a minute) the name came to me ~Wings As Eagles ~ This story is so incredible to me that I just had to share it with all those willing to read it.

You'll be reading more about our calling to NYC - Gramercy Park to be more specific - as the days go by - but this story just has to be told first. You see, I'm not a spiritual giant by any means. I try to surround myself by some in hopes that it rubs off on me. I am a skeptic at heart but the more I try to follow Jesus Christ, the less skeptical I become. I've realized that I am really just a skeptic because I don't know all the facts. As I continue in my walk with Jesus and learn more and more everyday, I see why there is no need for me to be skeptical.

So not to skip the calling and all, like I said, I'll get to that, but just know that for the past 3 months we (Pete and I) have felt like we were called to NYC to help start this church. Now I had lots of reasons to believe that this was God's Plan for us but I never asked for a SPECIFIC confirmation of it. I just was going by faith, gut feelings, some signs, and truly Pete's feel for the call. I knew that if this was God's plan for us, then he would have major obstacles to move in order to make it happen, so then I would really know for sure. But I was having an unusually hard week and started doubting our call. I mean really, move a family of 5 (with a 6 on the way someday) from suburbia to NYC where our rent will start at $3000 for 900 square feet??? It just doesn't make sense.

My friend M from the church plant team has an INCREDIBLE story of her own confirmation that this is God's call for her. I was a teensy bit jealous that she had such a firm confirmation. So I've been trying to think of an applicable confirmation for me that wasn't "testing GOD"

So Tuesday night the girls were having a sleepover at my parents house so that I didn't have to get up early Wednesday morning to drop them off there before I had my bible study which started at 9 am and is the complete opposite direction of where I needed to be. So my man and I are home alone so I decide to take the opportunity to watch my all time favorite Christmas movie Family Man with Nicholas Cage (yes it really is a Christmas movie : ) since I couldn't fall sleep having just finished my bible study homework studying Chapter 12 of Daniel and the prophecy his received re: the end of time. I finally decide to go to bed about 2:30 am (4 hours of sleep is enough, isn't it?) and Pete prays for us. Then my confirmation comes to me. I pray to GOD that within the next 3 days days I hear the words "eagles wings" (more on why that later) 3 different times (one for the father, the son, and the holy spirit) so that I will know this really is HIS plan for our family. Not too complicated for HIM , right? Then I will DEFINITELY know without a doubt....

I wake up Wednesday morning and before Pete leaves I ask him to pray for us. He prays and I don't recall exactly what his says but out comes "eagles wings" and I don't hear anything else he said. I asked him later that night why he prayed the way he did because it was really unusual and he just said, I don't know. So I'm overwhelmed all day that this might happen. I didn't tell him about my prayer and wasn't going to until Saturday if it didn't happen.

Then today I am watching the girls at gymnastics and reading my quarterly Marriage Partnership magazine (www.MarriagePartnership.com - excellent easy read mag) and reading on page 50 about a couple that has a karate studio and read

Isiah 40:31 NIV:
but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

Now I'm like WOW! Twice in two days. No way am I getting the third. I think I better fast on Friday and pray all day that this is his sign.

I get home tonight and start to read my email. I received an email about a homeschool convention coming. I notice a headline about an Eagles football team. Just eagles - no mention of wings - so I click on the link just to see what it is all about and there before me is the same Isaiah verse that I had read just a few hours prior!

There, I heard "wings as eagles" 3 times in 3 days (actually 2 days) but that was my very specific prayer. Now I truly do know without an absolute doubt that GOD really does want us to move to NYC. I don't understand it all still but I will listen to HIM and follow.

No comments: