Friday, January 11, 2008

This Is Why Somedays I'm Scared to Follow Where God is Sending Me

Somedays I have a bad day. Not a bad day in the typical sense of the phrase but a bad day in doubting God's Plan for us. I know he has a plan and I"m following it. But some day's I"m scared. Scared more for my family than for myself. You see, some religious leaders would have you think that if you follow God, your life (here on earth) will be filled with riches (as in money, fame, etc.). I don't believe that to be true. My church doesn't spout that as the gospel. As a matter of fact, at one of the very first meetings we had about the NYC church plant, Pastor read a passage from Luke, simply saying, that you must hate your life in order to follow Jesus. GREAT! Inspiring! NOT! But I am understanding more and more each day. Jon Kitna - Detroit Lions QB - spoke at New Community this past Wednesday about this exact thing.

I subscribe to the Purpose Driven Life daily email devotionals. It's funny how on the days I choose to actually open them to read and not just delete them, there is a message that I need to hear. Here is what was in todays:

"Serving others comes at a great price.

When you become a servant, you always give up something you could have kept for yourself – time, money, energy. But the greatest cost of all is yourself.

Serving others exacts a personal toll that cannot be measured in dollars and cents or hours and minutes.

In 2 Corinthians 6:8-10, Paul describes the price he paid for serving others: “We serve God whether people honor us or despise us, whether they slander us or praise us. We are honest, but they call us impostors. We are well known, but we are treated as unknown. We live close to death, but here we are, still alive. We have been beaten within an inch of our lives. Our hearts ache, but we always have joy. We are poor, but we give spiritual riches to others. We own nothing, and yet we have everything.” (NLT)

Later in the same book, Paul describes being jailed, whipped, stoned, shipwrecked, and robbed – all while serving the churches God entrusted to his care. (2 Corinthians 11:23-28)

God’s servants find the sacrifices worth the price because they can look past the present pain or inconvenience, fixing their eyes firmly on Jesus who “for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.” (Hebrews 12:2 NIV)"

Not very uplifting : ) But I for I know that I have treasures built up in heaven for me. Even if I die, and it turns none of what I believe in
s true (doubt it but just in case you aren't a believer), it'll all still have been worth it.

No comments: