Monday, May 5, 2008

Trusting in The Lord for Provisions

For the past 16 years, I have pretty much solely handled all of our finances with very little input from my Man. God has told us both that it is time for Him to take over and He will work through my Man to accomplish what He wants for us. I have fought him relentlessly on this but I know I must submit. I know He has and will continue to bless us. I need to trust in Him for His Provisions. I've been working on a series about this on my Frugal site but it's not ready to publish yet. I couldn't not share this and it seemed to fit on this blog more appropriately.

Today my Man and I tried to do a budget together. We've tried before. It normally ends up with him walking away from me in frustration and me crying and mad at him for not understanding. We have tried again for the past two weeks. Our meetings have ended better than normal but still not with a successful budget. Today was our third attempt. We still don't have a budget but we did get further in our discussions. I think by next week we will have it.

I was just catching up some blog reading from this very busy week-end we had. Gibble always posts song lyrics on Sunday to a favorite song of his. Since on my PC with no TV on (in-laws are in TN for the week) I thought I would put some music on my laptop while I read. Gather Little By Little actually had a guest post up too that just hit me! You can read the full post here titled Whatever Happened To No Other Gods. Two sentences jumped out at me. " Matthew 6:24 reminds us that we cannot serve both God and money and it’s clear we’ve made our choice. Our treasures are stored in our 401(k) where compounding interest means more than interest in God’s plan.

Pete just came into the room and I read it to him. He thought that was interesting given our conversation earlier today. Then he opened up his Experiencing God workbook. This was the first thing that he read:

"I'd rather have Jesus than silver or gold, I'd rather be His than have riches untold; I'd rather have Jesus than houses or lands, I'd rather be led by His nail pierced hand." By Rhea Miller

Pete and I were JUST talking about his 401K today. We have a comfortable chunk saved up from just the past 2 years. I'd hate to let that safety net go. But should we liquidate it, we'd be out of credit card debt. When we move and Pete changes jobs, we will have access to that money. Yes I know there are tax implications. We are also paying interest on that debt. We'd have to start all over again. But we are only 34 & 32 years old and neither one of us can ever imagine retiring.

I have to use God as my safety net - not our 401K.

"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:21

No comments: