Monday, June 23, 2008

Rocky Faith

I spent a lot of time over the past week speaking with people about what our future in NYC might look like or if it even will happen. I've been full of faith for them and their situations and even for mine own, until Friday. Honestly, it has been a roller coaster ride since August 2007. 10 months. I don't like roller coasters. I don't like any rides for that matter.

My man had a second phone interview on Wednesday. He said it went very well. I prayed and fasted all day. He sent a follow up email to the hiring Manager immediately after that. The company has been so quick to respond that I was sure he would hear something by Friday. Friday came and went and nothing. I began to get discouraged yet again over the week-end.

Then last night, I decided I wanted to watch a movie and just veg out. It had been a long week-end and I just didn't want to do much of anything. We rarely watch movies. My in-laws just bought a new 32" flat panel plasma TV that looked ripe for viewing a movie one. I heard awhile ago about the movie, Bella. I didn't know at all what it was about though, just that it was a good movie, so we rented it. Guess what, the movie happens in NYC. I know, no biggie, lots of movies do. We just happen to rarely watch one and the time that we do, it is based in NYC.

I just finished reading with K#2. Her story that she had to read to me today, was about kids playing in Central Park. Seriously.

Then I read my in-box. I'm pasting it here: Oh - and one more thing, my man just IMd me - he has a phone call this afternoon with the hiring manager.....

For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay. Habakkuk 2:3 (NIV)

*** *** *** ***

If you ever find yourself in God’s waiting room – waiting for an answer, a change, or a miracle – you just need to stop and trust God. He’s never late or in a hurry, because his timing is perfect.

When I started Saddleback Church, I had no idea that it would take 15 years and 10,000 weekly attenders for us to have our own land and our own building. At Saddleback’s very first church service I said, “Someday we’re going to buy at least 50 acres. But we’re not going to do it for the first five years because we’re going to put all our money into people and programs.”

Seven years after that first worship service it looked like we were well on our way to having our own building. Our people had sacrificed to raise money for land – canceling vacations, working second jobs, selling diamond rings, and giving from their pensions.

We finally found the right piece of land but we needed another $1.2 million to close the deal. In the last 60 days of 1987, the people in this church gave the needed funds and the land was ours.

Two years later, though, we still were working out zoning details with the county supervisors and they decided to delay us indefinitely.

My wife, Kay, was upset with me – and with God. She prayed: “God, you have been unfair to us. We have tried to do this exactly the way you told us with faith, honesty, and integrity. God, I don’t know what game you’re playing, but let me in on it because I don’t get it!”

God responded: “Kay, what is it to you if I allow every church on the face of the earth to have a building and land and Saddleback never does? Will you still follow me?”

She answered, “Yes, Lord, I will.”

That experience helped me really know the truth of John 13:7, when Jesus said: “You do not realize now what I'm doing but later you will understand” (NIV).

That same truth is communicated in 2 Corinthians 1:9: “This happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead” (NIV).

So often it looks like God is delaying or denying us, but his timing is perfect. Next time you feel like you’re in God’s waiting room, trust that God is working in his own perfect time on his own perfect plan – which is so much better than anything we can plan or dream.

No comments: