Tuesday, August 19, 2008

To Move or Not To Move Now

That is the question of the month. This week will now be 6 months that we have lived with my Man's parents. They have been very generous in not only allowing us to live with them (2 retired people whom are home all day and have not had anyone living with them since SIL moved out about 7 years ago) but they haven't allowed us to give them any money in the form of rent or even towards the utilities which you know for sure have increased since we moved in with them. We are also loud. All 5 of us. We sure have upset their quiet household.

We also don't do a lot in the way of housework. My MIL is quite hyper and usually does things faster than I would. I used to think I was quick to clean up around the house but not compared to her. If I think about vacuuming for my to-do list for tomorrow, she does it today. If Pete plans to cut the grass over the week-end, his Dad does it 2 days before. With 3 kids, I've had to learn to plan out these things a few days out so that I know I've allowed time to do it. Especially now that I home-school the girls, I have to make sure that I do their schooling before anything else. Last week Pete asked his Mom to leave the vacuuming for us to do over the week-ends but she said she didn't mind. I feel like we need to do some things but I also need to plan them out. I consciously try to run the dishwasher and empty it before she does but she often runs it when I don't think it's full enough. I try to do as many little 'green' things as I can in a day but now I find myself running it just so I can run it before her! How crazy is that?!

When Pete asked his Mom if we could live with them, he said it would probably be 6 months (I was thinking that maybe it'd just be 2 -3 months) Here we are now 6 months later. If it were just Pete and I, we'd move out. As adults, we don't mind change. I personally thrive on CHANGE! It does drive my Man crazy though. We have to think about how it impacts the girls though. For them, we told them that we would live with Oma & Opa until we moved to NYC. Now if we move into an apartment locally, what does that tell them about NYC? That God changed his mind? That we heard God wrong?

I wanted to live here as opposed to with my parents because I wanted the girls to have some quality time with my in-laws before we left because they probably won't ever have that chance again. I felt that this is where God wanted us to be as well. In the past, we didn't see my in-laws a lot so this would give them the opportunity to really get to know each other. They have had that chance now so I feel like we can move.

I don't want to overstay our welcome. I don't want my in-laws to think that we don't TRULY appreciate their generosity. I also don't want them to get frustrated with us being here and start to resent us for being here. I know that my MIL wants her fridge and kitchen back. I want my routine back. Is God ready to let us have that? Or is there still more for us to do here?

So, my Man spoke to his Dad. You know how men talk. Here is how I imagine the conversation went:

P: So Dad it doesn't look like I will have a job offer soon
D: Yeah
P: So we were thinking that maybe we should look for an apartment here
D: No sense moving now and then moving again in a few months. Just wait.
P: Are you sure Dad?
D: Yep - no sense

So, it looks like we will still live here for awhile longer. I pray for continued peace and patience on everyone's part while we wait for Pete to find the right job that God has lined up for him.

It's Fall now. Fall always feels like a time to start fresh. I REALLY thought we'd be in NYC to start the Fall. As much as I would miss the Kellys, Banters, KK, etc., I am ready to go. I know I have said that in the past, but I don't think I was honestly ready to go to NYC. Some days I still wished God had changed his mind. These days, I just want to follow His will for our lives. He's confirmed that that is in NYC. I am praying like I've never prayed before that His is timing is now. His timing is perfect though. I will continue to wait until he paves the way but I still pray that it is now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pray for you every day sista