Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Becoming Christ-Like

"Becoming like Christ is a long, slow process of growth. Spiritual maturity is neither instant nor automatic; it is a gradual, progressive development that will take the rest of your life.

Referring to this process, Paul said, “This will continue until we are . . . mature, just as Christ is, and we will be completely like him” (Ephesians 4:13 CEV).

You are a work in progress. Your spiritual transformation in developing the character of Jesus will take the rest of your life, and even then it won’t be completed here on earth. It will only be finished when you get to heaven or when Jesus returns.

At that point, whatever unfinished work on your character is left will be wrapped up. The Bible says that when we are finally able to see Jesus perfectly, we will become perfectly like him: “We can’t even imagine what we will be like when Christ returns. But we do know that when he comes we will be like him, for we will see him as he really is” (1 John 3:2 NLT)" - R. Warren

I often jokingly tell Peter that life has never been so hard as it has been since I gave my life to Christ! I thought it was supposed to be easier. I am a sinner but thankful that the Lord sent His only Son to pay the price for my sins. I will never be worthy of His forgiveness but I will get up every morning and try to be more like Him. I can not do it myself though. I can only do it with His strength and guidance.

Lately I found myself becoming somewhat lax and a bit self righteous saying "I'm not all that bad. I do mostly good. So I may occasionally judge others but it's not often. I could be a lot worse." I've started praying that the Lord would show me my sins. Just throw them right out there in my face. And He is. It's hard. But I'm thankful that He continues to try to mold me and He never gives up.

No comments: