Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A Sad Day For My Man


As if finding out that My Man had celiac disease was not bad news enough, he is now certain he is allergic to a whole lot of other things besides gluten.

He can no longer eat:
soy
almonds (all tree nuts)
bananas
barley
kiwi
melons (all melons)
tomatoes (no ketchup, salsa, spaghetti sauce)
strawberries

One food that has been a staple for Pete since he found out he had celiac was Mrs. Mays Trio Bars. They seem like the perfect food. Kosher, vegan, all natural, gluten free, etc. Oh, but they are made with 3 kinds of nuts! I've only been able to find them at Costco. We don't have a Costco membership so when I do get there, I tend to buy 3 boxes of them at a time to last us a month or so. They are expensive too. But well worth it to know that Pete was eating something healthy to sustain him during the day. Now he can't eat them. Of course I just bought 3 boxes this week-end! The girls are thrilled though because them love them and will now get to eat them all up.

I'm a picky eater. Ridiculously picky. Cooking has always been enjoyable for me because Pete and the girls (well except for Kaeterina) are not picky. That list may seem short but when I really think about the things that we eat - that is a lot of our favorite foods! Cooking will continue to be enjoyable - just more challenging now. I thought cutting out gluten was tough, and it was, but this is going to be doubly so. None of those allergies are life threatening like celiac disease can be but when your intestines are trying to heal from 32 years of abuse to them, adding undue stress does not help that process along any. Back to the cookbooks I go!

No comments: