Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Most Important Job For Me

The most important job for me right now in my life is that of wife and mother. God comes first but after Him, comes my husband and my children.

A friend of mine recently expressed some feelings that she has been having. She feels like maybe it is a sort of pre-mid life crisis. She has spent the lat 12 years of her life being a Stay At Home Mom. Her husband is partners in his own business and works A LOT of hours. I understand how hard that must be. That will never change for him. When Pete first went into IT, he would easily work 70+ hours per week. I'm very thankful that he is now able to make it home at least a few nights per week for supper.

I've been praying for her over the last few days. She feels that she has 'sacrificed herself with little help and not a thank you'. I started to read some to see if the Lord will give me any words of comfort for her. What He has given me, I found comforting for myself as well.

The Bible states that parents have the job of training and teaching their children. Deuteronomy 6:4 - 7 NIV states:

" 4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. [a] 5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6 These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up."

Jesus said in Matthew 10:39 "Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it." Committing to love and care for our children as God commands is the way to a full and abundant life. It may even mean putting their needs above our own over and over again. Often without a Thank You either. Our hours of hard work seem to go by unnoticed. We have to remember that our work does make a difference. What we do day in and day out as a Mom may not seem so wonderful but we are doing the most important thing in the world - that of raising the next generation. We are essential in our roles as wife and mother. There is no monetary value to it but it has eternal worth.

No comments: