Wednesday, July 30, 2008

What Should I Do When I Grow Up

"We worry when God seems silent on specific issues such as “What career should I choose?”

The truth is, there are many different careers that could be in God’s will for your life. What God cares about most is that whatever you do, you do in a Christlike manner (1 Corinthians 10:31; 1 Corinthians 16:14; Colossians 3:17, 23).

God is far more interested in who you are than in what you do. We are human beings, not human doings. God is much more concerned about your character than your career, because you will take your character into eternity, but not your career." - Rick Warren

Just over 8 years ago I quit my full time job as a Human Resources Rep to become a full time Mom. This was not a decision that I made easily. I made this choice only because I realized that I was working to pay someone else to raise my child. I began to wonder why did I even have a child in the first place? Why not just donate my money to an orphanage or something like that instead of having this baby of my own that I was barely able to see. K#1 had begun to have chronic ear infections - one right after another. When pushed for another alternative besides tubes in her ears, her pediatrician said to pull her out of daycare. What? She was in a wonderful, small center, 3 minutes from where I worked.

I had spent many years in college working towards my degree. In fact, I had just started on my MBA too. Why would I quit working to be stay at home Mom? Wasn't that what women did that didn't have any better career options? I was fast tracking it up the corporate career ladder. Why would I give that up to just sit home all day with a baby? I'm thankful for a very supportive husband who said, "Quit". We'll figure it out.

Well, it's taken a full 8 years to 'figure it out' but I think we finally have. We've both put God first in our lives. By doing that, the Lord has blessed us over and over in too many ways to list. God is molding me into the person that He wants me to be.

Up until a year ago, I still wanted to work - eventually. Always thinking about what career I would go back to. Always dreaming about what my days could look like. The grass is always greener on the other side. At first I thought I would go back to work when I had all 3 girls in school full time. Then we made the decision to homeschool. Now I realize that I am in the most important career that I could ever be in - that of a child of God, wife to a wonderful man, and mother to the most precious 3 little girls I know. Someday God may direct me to go into other work, but for now, this is my career and I wouldn't trade it for any corporate ladder.

No comments: